It can seem like a challenge to prevent the need for drain cleaning as most of the items that cause drain cleaning are somewhat unavoidable, such as hair and soap scum. But you can take some preventative steps that help clear the culprits of slow drainage and clogging. If you already have a clog, don’t attempt to fix it yourself unless you are an expert, and most homeowners aren’t. However, the trained and certified plumbers at Lifeline Plumbing are experts, and they are available day or night for all your plumbing needs, including drain cleaning, in Geneva, IL.
Here are some simple steps you can take to help keep your drains clear:
- Do not pour FOG down your drains or garbage disposal – we aren’t talking about the kind of fog famous in San Francisco but rather fats, oil and grease, which are some of your drain’s biggest enemies. FOG doesn’t flow down your drain and into your septic or sewer pipe because even though it may be liquid when it’s hot, it cool and solidifies quickly; as such, it will adhere to your pipes and create a stubborn build-up that can restrict and even clog water flow.
- Flush with baking soda and vinegar monthly – baking soda is a natural scrubber and when combined with white vinegar, it literally eats away at any build-up in your piping. Let it work for 30 minutes or even overnight, and then run very hot water down the drain.
- Rinse pipes with hot water after each use – open up your hot water tap and allow the very hot water to run down your pipes for a minute or two; this helps wash down the day’s debris and sticky stuff.
- Use ice in garbage disposals – it may seem counter-intuitive, but allowing your garbage disposal to chop up a few ice cubes on a regular basis acts as a scrub on the disposal and helps remove build-up.
- Schedule annual plumbing maintenance – during an annual plumbing maintenance appointment your entire plumbing system is reviewed, including the drains, which helps get you ahead of problems and repairs.
Still need help with drain cleaning in Geneva, IL? Call Lifeline Plumbing and schedule an appointment with one of our experts.