Your ductwork is an integral part of your HVAC system. When it is faulty, you can experience a sharp increase in energy bills, a decrease in your indoor comfort and a decrease in indoor air quality. Repairs can help with certain types of problems, but there may come a point where it makes more sense to schedule duct replacement in Palatine. Lifeline Plumbing specializes in ductwork repair and replacement, so if you are experiencing problems with your ductwork, call us today.
Reasons It May Be Time to Replace
Here are some reasons it may be better to replace your ductwork
- Too much damage – ductwork can rust, develop holes and cracks, and be crushed, just to name a few ways it can be damaged. Some damage is beyond repair, and in these instances, it is necessary to replace.
- Mold infestation with plastic ductwork – some ductwork is made of high-grade plastic. This type of ductwork is durable, but it is not the best material when it comes to biological contamination like mold growth. Even after sanitization, mold spores and cells can still survive inside plastic ductwork, which can allow for re-growth. If you have plastic ductwork and have had a mold problem, you may want to consider replacing the contaminated sections.
- Poor system installation – ductwork is complex, and when installed by someone inexperienced, problems can ensue. Poor layout, kinks in the system and even improper sizing of the ductwork are all examples of poor installation. Unfortunately, poor installation can only be remedied with a new, proper installation.
Benefits of Duct Replacement
Here are some benefits to replacing faulty ductwork:
- Better energy efficiency – faulty ductwork can account for up to 30% of air loss in your HVAC system. This much air loss forces your HVAC system to work harder to achieve the set temperature. By replacing your faulty ductwork, you can greatly reduce or even eliminate this air loss, which helps you regain energy efficiency.
- Better indoor air quality – when your ductwork is damaged or faulty, it lets in contaminants and humidity from the outside. This can significantly compromise your indoor air quality.
- Better comfort – damaged or faulty ductwork can cause uneven heating and cooling throughout your home. Replacing the damaged ductwork ensures that the cool or warm air you need is delivered evenly throughout your living space.
You should always try to have your ductwork repaired first, but if the damage is too great, it may be time to replace.
Having problems with your ductwork? Call Lifeline Plumbing today to inquire about duct replacement in Palatine.